Education Law Center Services
The Education Law Center provides the following:
1. Group based presentations and training on legal issues related to education including related to IDEA based special education (eligibility determination, IEP development, dispute resolution, etc.) Section 504 accommodations and student discipline.
2. Legal research resource to web based material related to the rights of students, and their parents, in an educational setting.
3. "Of Counsel" and consultation services, provided by John F. Brower, an attorney with over a decade of experience in addressing educational law matters, both as a practitioner and a law school faculty member.
4. Free list of contact information with the names of Michigan attorneys for parents, students and others looking for individual private practice attorneys who have expressed an interest to provide legal services to students, parents and staff persons in public and private educational settings from pre-school to post-secondary institutions.
“Congress has stated the goals of special education are:
to ensure that all children with disabilities have available to them a free appropriate public education...designed to meet their unique needs and prepare them for further education, employment, and independent living; to ensure that the rights of children with disabilities and parents of such children are protected."
- IDEA-2004 - 20 U.S.C. §1400(d)(1)(A) and (B).